Thursday, September 8, 2011

One small step

Today I have VERY good news.  I have been taking small steps towards weight loss and have finally reached the 10 lb loss goal!  Woo-hoo!  It has not been easy, it's actually been frustrating at times!  Just when you think you have a handle on it, BOOM - your weight shifts and you can't figure out why.  Nevertheless, I am determined to plod along at a steady pace and continue to take better care of my body.  I'm trying to pay more attention to what I put in it and keeping it moving.

This all began about 9 weeks ago when a friend of mine found a book, The Game On Diet, and read it.  She shared it with several of us and we decided to play this new "diet" game.  It has really been inspirational for all of us.  This game places partial emphasis on the diet and the rest on life changing habits.  You take everything one day at a time.  One step at a time.  The rewards are self evident - the first 4 weeks 6 of us lost a combined 45 lbs!  Amazing, no?  YES!

This game also encourages us to give up a bad habit and develop a good habit.  It has been enlightening talking with the other players about these habits and how they overcome/achieve them each day.  It gives me more goals to strive for as I continue along.  I think it works because it's doable, liveable, and we are held accountable to not only ourselves, but each other on a team.  The changing of habits has given me pause for thought - making me stop and think about the little things I need to change.  My first bad habit to give up was laying my clothes over my recliner in my room instead of hanging them or folding them and putting them away.  Here I am 9 weeks later and my recliner is still clothes free!  This time around has been keeping my car cleaned out - and so far, so good!  I know, I know - most of you would say - shouldn't you do this anyway?  For me, I know I should keep these areas clean and tidy, but time is a precious commodity for me and sometimes it's easier to let it go.  Then it builds up and gets out of control and makes me feel like I have even less time. 

The good habits I chose to work on took some thought, too.  The first game I chose to sew 20 minutes each day for ME.  Those who know me know I LOVE to sew!  However, I always sew for someone else, never for me.  By the end of game #1, I had completed a pretty, white blouse - FOR ME.  I can't wait to wear it!  This time around, I have chosen to have a Bible Study each night with my daughters.  I can already see some of the benefits of this.  I can't wait to see where it takes us as a family.  The changing of habits has probably been my favorite part of the game.  It teaches me to think about these little things each day - work a little each day on making a change for the better.  At the end of the day - I feel good! 

I can't wait to see where this takes me!  My long term goal is to lose 50 lbs.  I hope to have lost 1/2 that by Christmas - and I know I can do that based on what I've done over the last 9 weeks.  After all, I'm already 10 lbs closer to that goal!  I'm gonna make it! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is awesome Steph!!! SO so happy for you. You have worked hard and deserve it. Great goals and perspective too. ROOTING FOR YOU!!

    ReplyDelete